First Week as a Chicagoan

Category :

As this is my tenth day living in Chicago, I would like to declare myself a native and Chicago know-it-all....or something like that.

The first full week has been amazing/hectic/surreal all rolled into one! First I'll talk about my humble abode, located smack dab in Wrigleyville. Now, I have decided it is fate I live here, because right around the corner of my house is a bar called The Houndstooth- Alabama inspired! What are the chances?! It is a cool little bar with houndstooth wallpaper, framed pictures and articles about the University of Alabama, three different styled rooms, and enough people packed in on a weekend night to count as the entire population of the great Yellow Hammer state.

My first weekend was filled with touristy things with the fam (I can refer to them as touristy things because, again, I am a native). The Cubs game at the historic Wrigley Field, a mere 5-10 minute walk from my house, was awesome, a trip to the Northwestern campus, perusing through the overly crowded Taste of Chicago and sight seeing that had our dogs a barkin'.

On a side note, there is no Wal-mart or Kroger around. So where did I go grocery shopping you ask? A place called Jewel Osco, which is a typical grocery store. But can I tell you a regular little container of ice cream was $6.99! I'm STILL outraged at my frozen dairy delight.

I have become a real city person by riding the "L" (I have been told to stop calling it the train because that is something totally different. So I ride the "L") everywhere. In my 10 days here, I have used my car once! I am a short 5 minute stroll to the "L" stop and it is a 25ish minute ride to Evanston- home of prestigious Northwestern University. NU is an amazing campus- located right on the lake (Lake Michigan, I believe). AND, did you know that NU's peer institutions are Duke,  Brown, Yale, NYU....so we have some smart lil nuggets here!

This past weekend I went on a kayaking tour of Chicago on the Chicago River. I would not advise touching the water, unless you are wanting to contract diseases, but nonetheless, it was an awesome way to see downtown Chicago from a different perspective.

Now that you have a little tid bit of an update, you can eagerly anticipate a post or two about some muy delicioso restaurants around town and some other cool facts.

One more thing, I randomly passed the movie set for Transformers 3 yesterday in downtown Chicago. How crazy is that!?

0 comments: