Cola Top 5: Good Eats

Category :


As I begin to close out my two years in Columbia, SC, I figure I should do a bit of highlighting and recapping. As my avid readers wait with excitement to read my recommendations each week (by each week, I mean I will post recommendations when I want. Because I do what I want. I'm grown.), I will be posting my personal faves from the Palmetto state's capital. This time around I'll focus on restaurants. Columbia has a good little selection of awesome restaurants, but I have narrowed down my personal top five for your reading pleasure. Read on lil nugget, read on.

5. Tsunami

The Asian inspired restaurant is located in the Vista area. The Vista is composed of several streets lined with all-brick buildings, a bevvy of restaurants and even more happy hour selections. I'm not a fan of sushi, which most people order at the "undersea volcanic eruption" establishment, so I am partial to the Grilled Chicken Teriyaki plate and the ginger dressing on the salad puts the....ginger on top.



Miyo's has a few different locations across Columbia (under names such as M Vista, M Cafe or simply Miyo's) but sticking with the Vista theme, M.Vista is my choice. You may be asking yourself, "Josh, why do you have so many Asian-inspired restaurants on the list if you don't like sushi?" To that I respond, "Because." Miyo's is similar to Tsunami....except better. Edamame for apps, one of the chicken and rice plates, you can't go wrong. You EVEN get a fortune cookie as your leaving....that's when you know you're in the right place.


3. The Chains

I can't talk about my favorite places to eat if I don't mention the tried and true. Those "chain" restaurants that are chains for a reason...because they're simply awesome. McCalister's, Moe's, Qdoba...they're all great (although McCalister's tops the list with pure ease).



Outside seating. Enough said. In Columbia, SC, I choose places to eat based on if they have outdoor seating (it is a trend for Happy Hours too...but that's for a later time). Any panini and the pesto pasta salad is my ushe (that was supposed to be the shortened version of usual...I'm not sure I like how that came out). Chicken salad, salads, hummus, sandwiches...the perfect lunch spot in 5 Points. Even better, it is only a five minute walk from my apartment.



By far my favorite place in Columbia. This little "delicatessen" has a great lunch and even better weekend brunch. What they're famous for: warm pita chips and the pimiento cheese. You could not have a better appetizer...ever. I suggest the Vermont pimiento cheese, it is better than the original. The nugget of a place always has a variety of specials then the usual menu of salads, soups, sandwiches, etc. If I was not under the constraint of a grad school budget (which means I'm just rolling in the dough, right?), I would do all my grocery shopping here. They have cases of food, including anything and everything Southern. Shame on you if you haven't eaten here. You need to go...and take me (that means pay for me too, just to clear up the confusion).

0 comments: