Hello, freshman

Category :


During the summer months, I continue to live in the building I served as a hall director for the past year. Though the buildings are usually empty during this time, mine will be occupied by orientations leaders, orientation students who choose to stay on-campus during the sessions and conference attendees.

This past weekend I bee-bopped down to the University of Alabama to see a friend who is interning there over the summer and my sister, who will be a junior in the fall. I returned to Columbia and the building late Sunday night to a crowded parking lot. It was at this point I realized freshmen orientation would be held the next day and students were most likely moving into the building for the night. I grab my (MTSU) suitcase and head inside. I have managed and lived in the building for the past nine months, so I know how to walk in the building in where to go...so for the record, I did not appear to be lost or questioning the direction I should be taking. As I walked through the first lobby, a group of three orientation leaders were sitting on the couches. I said "Hello" and kept walking. Before I round the corner to the elevator, I hear a girl yell from behind,

"HEY! Are you here for orientation!?"

I slowly turn around, look at the three girls who have decided to become excited about the prospect of meeting an incoming student, and said, "No. I am the hall director for this building."

It is fine. 18 and 23 years-old are the same. They were most likely thinking I was simply a non-traditional student coming for freshman orientation...

0 comments: